Sunday, May 04, 2008

Vaccinations

A friend of mine brought up some good questions about vaccinations awhile ago that inspired me to do some research when the time came to vax my own children. See her post. Elijah is almost two months old, so vaxing is on the horizon.

sugar - cells from a monkey's kidney - blood from a cow fetus - viruses. If you eat this you supposedly will not catch the rotavirus. This seems like something an african witch doctor would put together. I was really surprised when I read the ingredients of each vaccine (some include formaldehyde, MSG and other harmful preservatives). A bit of good news...mercury has been pretty much removed from the vaccination process. There are only a couple of manufacturers who still use it, and they use it in incredibly small amounts (like 0.3 micrograms). If any of you are concerned about what we are injecting into our babies, I recommend "The Vaccine Book" by Robert W. Sears, MD. Three points of his that I think are beneficial -

1. Don't give more than one aluminum containing vaccine per visit. Again, mercury has been pretty much eliminated from the vaccination process due to the toxic amounts we were injecting into infants. However, aluminum is a similar problem, and it has not been eliminated from the process. The amount of aluminum in all first round shots combined far exceeds what the FDA has said is toxic for babies with kidney problems. Apparently they haven't established a toxic level for babies with healthy kidneys; however, they stated aluminum should not exceed 10 to 20 micrograms for babies with impaired kidney function. If you add the aluminum content of all first round (2 months) shots, the aluminum total is anywhere from 295 micrograms to 1,225 micrograms depending on which manufacturer's vaccines are used. The assumption is that healthy kidneys should be able to filter out that much aluminum, but this has not been sufficiently studied. No one knows what effects this much aluminum has on an infant - how long it takes for the infant's kidneys to filter it out, and can the infant filter the aluminum prior to any toxicity reaching the brain.

2. Don't give more than one live virus vaccine per visit. A live virus vaccine essentially gives you a mild case of the disease in hopes that your body will develop an immunity towards it. For example, the rotavirus vaccine will give the infant a mild case of the rotavirus. It makes sense that it would be difficult for a little infant's body to fight off too many live viruses at once.

3. Ultimately vaxing is the responsible thing to do.

There is a lot more great information in the book, but these were three of my biggest takeaways.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I wish i had known about the aluminum affecting the kidneys. The pediatrician we went to when N was a newborn loaded him up with the normal dosage. I have talked alot to the pediatrician he has now, and she has been very helpful and cooperative about altering the vaccine schedule. What I have read is to spread out the vaccinations to a month between each shot. but staying close to the recommended dosing schedule. I didn't learn this until recently though, so N had the reg dosing schedule. And I pray.

Love seeing pics! He's such a cutie:)

Erika said...

In the end, I totally agree with #3. We just try to be as informed as possible. We chose to selectively delay.

Your gut will tell you what to do.