Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A long overdue Eli update - for anyone who might still check this blog

Santa came to Eli's Christmas party at school. Eli was not too sure about Santa.




This boy is constantly on the move, and he is fast. Eli is 9 months old, 20lbs 4ozs, and 27.5 inches tall. He will not be wanting his two front teeth for Christmas because he has them! He has four teeth now - two on top and two on bottom. He has just started clapping, and this makes him very proud. We've introduced some table food, and he seems to be on board with it. He loves to feed himself...it just takes him awhile. We also introduced the sippy cup, but I think he considers it more of a toy than a means of hydration. So far we've managed to completely avoid formula, which has been a goal of mine from the beginning.

Eli loves school, which makes me feel better about taking him. He has started a tiny bit of separation anxiety, but so far it hasn't been too bad - which is good because I still have separation anxiety. No sense in BOTH of us crying :-)

He is so funny, and he totally knows how to work a crowd. Pete and I can totally see it! We've taken him to a few gatherings, and whenever he becomes the center of attention (which is frequent), he does the cutest things and always gets a great crowd response. And whatever he did for the response is generally something he doesn't usually do. He is definitely his father's son.

Anyway, he is the second love of my life, and we are having a blast. ...except at night. Nightime parenting is still VERY exhausting. Eli has been through several ear infections since starting school, so all of our nighttime progress flew out the window. We have historically gone the attachment parenting route - but I just bought the Ferber book. We're going to try to find some balance between loving/attentive and Ferber. As a side note, for any of you interested in avoiding antibiotics, I found a natural remedy for ear infections that works very quickly. At least it works on Eli - but that should probably be a separate post.

We've also recently introduced the word "no". Eli has started spitting his food at mealtime. Our plan is to respond by firmly stating "No. We do NOT spit our food." while giving him our serious face. This plan has not worked for me. I will give my serious face and state my line. Then Eli looks at me curiously. I'm using an unusual tone, and he's trying to decide how to react. Then he gives me this sweet adorable laugh, and I laugh back EVERY time. I can't help it!! He thinks I'm playing a game. I have GOT be stronger if I'm going to teach this child anything - but I've been praying about this.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I still have to stifle a laugh when disciplining. Don't worry, when push comes to shove, you'll get your instructions across (not literally, of course).

Erika said...

That sweet boy is growing up way too fast!!
We went the attatchment route as well, however S had cronic ear infections about every other month that threw a ringer into nightime routines. For us they coincided with teething. Hope you find some relief soon.

Thanks for the shout on our side. We're pretty excited about the pregnancy, especially considering our loss this summer. S, however is very anti-baby right now.
As for Big Phil....it was a sad day to see him go, but it was time. I hope the Kiffen era holds a promising future. Now that his dad has signed on it looks much more promising!

Good to see you posting again!

April said...

I love the pics of Eli with Santa! The black and white one is esp neat. I'm impressed that you've been able to continue the no formula policy even while being back at work. Way to go! We stuck with the no formula policy, but that was easy as neither child would take a bottle--ever. They would drink water in a sippy by 5 months, though, so that helped buy me a little tiny bit of freedom! Hope life straightens out for you...sounds like sleeping and ear infections have not made life fun lately!

Mindy said...

yay! You post again. Eli looks so grown up from your last post with pics of him. He is too cute and I totally see some of both of you in him. You are doing at great job at being a mommy. I completely feel you on the "no" thing. Its hard to stick to what you say when they are just so darn cute.

Lois and Jon said...

Love the photos - hope the Ferber book works! :)