Monday, June 11, 2007

Minor Procedure

I went to the dermatologist today. I had a spot on my arm that was concerning me. I read through the skin cancer checklists online, and this spot had too many indicators, so I decided to get it looked at by a professional. The appointment went something like this...

dr: yeah, that needs to come out. We'll cut it out today.

The doctor sticks her head out the door of the little room and says to the nurse ...

dr: Nurse, would you bring me a scissor.

My eyes proceed to get very very wide, and my heart starts beating a little faster. I think for second she could have been kidding. The nurse comes back, and I make the terrible mistake of looking at the scissors. I consider asking them to knock me out for the procedure, but decide that would officially seal my fate as a wimp. I could take this, right? So what - they are going to cut a hole in my arm - with me standing right there - no big deal!

me: so, how exactly does this go down?

no one responds.

nurse: are you planning to numb her?

dr: yes.

me: YES!!

nurse (to the dr): well, I wasn't sure when all you asked for was the scissors.

me: yeah, I was a little worried by that, too.

all: laughing (except mine is a very nervous laughter)

Turns out I got a shot in the arm and didn't feel a thing (until several hours later). The worst part was imagining exactly what they were doing with those scissors. I just stared intently at a graph on the wall detailing all the parts of a hair folicle, and I talked non-stop about myself as to not give myself a chance to think about "the scissor".

Hopefully that will be the end of that!

2 comments:

holly said...

You're so smart to be keeping an eye out! Glad you went ahead and got it taken care of, scary scissors and all. Now come visit us and check Jonathan out. :)

Amy said...

When do you get results? Glad everything went ok.