The baby bump has become a baby mountain, but unfortunately I don't have any recent pictures. I'll get on that. As I was looking for pictures, I did find a couple of fun ones.
New daddy working on the nursery...
I don't really like this picture, but the memory of it is so great...me the day we found out we were pregnant. We only had a couple of hours after we found out before all of the in-laws arrived, so we grabbed a quick mexican dinner to celebrate.

We've had a couple of pregnancy scares in the last few months...one of which landed me in the hospital...but by God's grace, neither of them had any effect on the baby. The first scare turned out to be very minor, but the second scare was kidney stones. I've never had kidney stones before, so I didn't know what was going on...just that something was very wrong. Long story short - Pete was in a late rehearsal, so I was home alone and already in bed when I got a horrible pain in my back (a little before 9pm). I thought maybe the baby was on a nerve or something so I tried walking, sitting, laying down...nothing helped. I tried tylenol - didn't phase it. After about an hour I called my OB, and he told me to go to the OB ER (thankfully, the hospital we use has a separate ER for OB patients which was wonderful!). Pete got there a few minutes after I did, and by that time I was vomiting uncontrollably from the pain. After some diagnostic testing they figured out I had a UTI and I was dehydrated, but they didn't find the stones until the next day. They kept me there on the fetal monitor to make sure these problems didn't send me into preterm labor (my first time to be a hospital inpatient). By about 3 am I was pumped full of baby-safe pain meds, meds to keep me from throwing up, antibiotics to fight my infections, and saline to rehydrate me. I think it was a great practice run for labor and delivery. I couldn't do anything which meant I was relying on Pete for literally everything (e.g. holding my puke bucket). He was amazing. We're going to be pros on d-day.
Anyway, turns out I had two kidney stones trying to ruin my life (and a few others lying dormant), but the two culprits are both gone now. Apparently having stones is hereditary, but dropping stones (which is the painful part) is common in pregnancy due to relaxed opening in the kidneys.
Some fun news...when they did the ultrasound on my kidneys they also took a peek at the baby again. The technician said he is a "big boy" and that he has lots of hair!! We're so excited and proud.
There is lots more I'm tempted to write about, but I have dishes in the sink and clothes in the wash that have been trying to convince me that I can't keep house. I have to go shut them up.
4 comments:
Yay! You're back! Thanks for the fun update and the pics! Looking forward to feeling little Eli kick!
I am so glad you are okay. I hate to hear about the stones. I've seen how bad they can be.
Sounds like a healthy boy. Lots of hair--have you had heartburn. That's the old wives tale. It was true for me.
Hey, I'm going in for an ultrasound today to see if I have kidney stones.
I'd never heard of getting kidney stones while you were pregnant until the last few days.
Nice to see you back in the blogosphere.
-Daisha
Hooray for updates! I want more photos. (Also you will be happy to know that I've been reading this book called Birth, about the history of birth--why do I do this to myself? who knows--and it has definitely moved me squarely into the crunchy column (well, or maybe the "holy cow never" column). You and my mom would be proud.
Post a Comment